Life and AD&D insurance
Life insurance protects your family financially in the event of your death. Money is generally paid income tax free to your beneficiaries, who can use the money for any purpose.
AD&D insurance pays a pre-determined amount to your beneficiaries in the event of your death in an accident (for example, a car crash). AD&D pays lesser amounts to you or your beneficiaries for various types of accidental injuries that result in the loss of limbs, speech or hearing.
In the event of an accident or death, Benefits will file a claim on your behalf once we are notified. In order to finalize a life insurance claim we need an original death certificate to send to Securian.
Our life insurance carrier, Minnesota Life, a Securian Company, does not pay proceeds directly to minors (under age 18 in most states). We require a certified copy of court-issued letters of guardianship (or conservatorship) for the property (or estate) of the minor. Note that there are two types of guardianship: property and person. Securian requires guardianship for the property (estate).
|Coverage type||Coverage options||Additional information|
|Basic Term Life||
|Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)||
|Group Universal Life (GUL) or Variable Group Universal Life (VGUL)||1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, or 5x base compensation||
|Dependent Term Life||Spouse/RDP||Child||
|Voluntary AD&D||Faculty/staff plan
Manage your life insurance benefit online
Securian provides a secure site, www.LifeBenefits.com, which you may access to enroll in and manage your life insurance benefit. Use the LifeBenefits site to:
- View additional information about your life insurance plan, including coverage amounts and premiums
- Enroll for coverage and submit Evidence of Insurability (EOI) requirements
- Designate your beneficiaries
- Change your coverage or account information
- Manage your cash accumulation account
- Use a variety of online resources to help with life insurance decisions, including the insurance needs calculator
Access the LifeBenefits site
- Visit LifeBenefits site
- User ID: Enter USC followed by your 7-digit employee ID number (can be found on your paycheck stub)
- Password: Enter your 8-digit date of birth followed by the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (for example, if your date of birth was August 2, 1960 and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number were 1234, you would enter 080219601234 as your password). Once logged in, you will be prompted to change your password to something you choose.
You may enroll or make changes at any time, but you must be actively at work, and EOI may be required if enrolling after your initial eligibility period. Enroll within 30 days of hire to avoid EOI; coverage begins the first of the month after enrollment.
Access to a suite of additional resources
As an insured under the university-paid basic plan, you and your dependents have access to the following tools and resources.
- Legal, financial and grief resources—LifeWorks provides (to U.S. active employees) access to counseling professionals and related resources and referrals. Contact LifeWorks at (877) 849-6034 or visit LifeWorks.com (username: lfg – password: resources).
- Travel assistance services—RedpointWTP LLC (Redpoint) provides (to U.S. active employees) emergency assistance and transport 24/7/365 when traveling 100 or more miles away from home. For service terms and conditions and pre-trip information visit www.LifeBenefits.com/travel or call (855) 516-5433 in the U.S. and Canada. Elsewhere, call collect (415) 485-4677.
- Legacy planning resources—Active and retired employees can access these resources at LegacyPlanningResources.com to help them deal with the loss of a loved one or to plan for their own passing.
The following optional service is available to beneficiaries of employees and spouses insured under the Minnesota Life Insurance Company/Security Life Insurance Company group life insurance policies. Access information is provided with claims payment.
- Beneficiary financial counseling—PriceWaterhouseCoopers provides independent and objective financial counseling resources at a time when they’re most needed. Available to beneficiaries who receive proceeds of $25,000 or more. Contact the HR Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 821-8100.
Contact Securian customer service by email or call (800) 843-8358.
Securian Group Life and AD&D Insurance Plan Summary
Securian Group Insurance Information
Securian Legal, Financial and Grief Resources
Securian Travel Assistance Services
Securian Legacy Planning Resources
Securian Beneficiary Financial Counseling
Securian | www.lifebenefits.com
Redpoint | www.lifebenefits.com/travel
(855) 516-5433 (U.S. and Canada)
(415) 484-4677 (international)
USC also provides accidental death & dismemberment coverage to employees injured or killed while traveling on university business. More information on this business travel insurance plan is available from Risk Management.