Enrollment in ACA exchange
Health Insurance Marketplace
The Health Insurance Marketplace (often referred to as the “Marketplace” or “Exchange”) provides certain individuals with a new option for purchasing health insurance. The Marketplace is designed to help certain individuals find and compare private health insurance options through its site, Healthcare.gov. In addition, certain individuals may be eligible for a tax credit to lower their monthly premium, but only if their employer does not offer health coverage that meets certain standards, minimum value and affordability.
USC offers health coverage that it believes complies with ACA standards for affordability. Thus, you will most likely not be eligible for a tax credit through the Marketplace.
If you purchase a health plan through the Marketplace instead of accepting health coverage through USC, you may lose the employer contribution to the coverage offered by USC. Also, this employer contribution, as well as your employee contribution to USC-offered coverage, is often excluded from income for federal and state income tax purposes. Your payments for coverage through the Marketplace are made on an after-tax basis.
Applying for coverage at the Marketplace
If you decide to apply for coverage at the Marketplace, you will be asked to provide information regarding USC. Be sure to provide the following information:
- Employer name: University of Southern California
- Employer Identification Number: 95-1642394
- Employer address: Credit Union Building, 2nd Floor, 3720 S. Flower Street, LA 90089
- Employer phone number: (213) 821-8100
- Who to contact about employee health coverage at this job: HR Service Center
- Phone number for who to contact: (213) 821-8100
- Email address for who to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org